Genre: YA Science Fiction
In the domed city of Evanescence, appearance is everything. A Natural Born amongst genetically-altered Aristocrats, all Ella ever wanted was to be like everyone else. Augmented, sparkling, and perfect. Then…the crash. Devastated by her father’s death and struggling with her new physical limitations, Ella is terrified to learn she is not just alone, but little more than a prisoner.
Her only escape is to lose herself in Nexis, the hugely popular virtual reality game her father created. In Nexis she meets Guster, a senior player who guides Ella through the strange and compelling new world she now inhabits. He offers Ella guidance, friendship…and something more. Something that allows her to forget about the “real” world, and makes her feel whole again.
But Nexis isn’t quite the game everyone thinks it is.
And it’s been waiting for Ella.
Ten Reasons why Guster Lowry Should Be Your New Book Boyfriend
1. He’s not perfect. When Ella first meets Guster in Nexis, her first impulse is to redesign him to make him more beautiful. She has to consciously stop herself and re-analyze him under a more forgiving lens. It’s only at this time that she starts to find certain aspects of him attractive – choosing specific traits that she finds alluring over deciding on the whole package. As she gets to know him, he becomes more physically beautiful to her. He’s makes mistakes and miscalculations, can be closed off and selfish sometimes…But, that’s what makes him human.
2. He is the perfect balance between goofball and introspective philosopher. He’s a flirt and a tease who can both be serious and mad-cap at the same time. He has an easy smile and laugh and makes really corny gestures and jokes. But, he can also be very introspective and serious when it’s important. He sees a lot deeper than most and he’s very much aware of what’s really important and valuable.
3. He’s bold and charming. It’s Guster’s boldness and charm more than anything that makes Ella like him so much at first. He’s compelling, like Quentin Cyr is, but in a different way – because obviously he’s not Custom perfect. He’s not afraid to tease and flirt, he’s not afraid to lean over and kiss her or give her affectionate little touches to let her know he’s attracted to her. These are things that she’s never encountered in a world where she is barely looked at twice and that’s a powerfully seductive thing. Despite this boldness, he’s also respectful of her – when Ella feels like she’s getting too caught up in his spell, he listens, giving her space and time to figure out her overwhelming feelings for him. He waits for her to ask for another kiss, he lets her set the boundaries, he waits for a long time to get physical with her.
4. He’s a trickster. Because of his position among the Elite, Guster has the uncanny ability to read situations and be able to manipulate or negotiate his way toward what he wants. This seems like it would be dangerous in a relationship, but he’s a good enough guy to know that this trait is dangerous and he’s just scared enough of his own skill that he wouldn’t use it on someone he loves. He wants things to be real and true as much as Ella does.
5. He’s the perfect partner in crime. Things between Ella and Gus are very 50/50. Sometimes she makes the big discoveries, sometimes he does. Sometimes she saves him, sometimes he saves her. Most of all, they compliment each other – they work together to solve problems, they respect each other, they know each other’s strengths and weaknesses and push each other to be the best they can be. He’s got her back and she’s got his.
6. He questions himself. Despite being strong and smart, Gus knows he’s not perfect and sometimes his confidence gets shaken. This leads to bad decisions – like needing to prove himself with fighting Glockmock. While Guster sometimes puts everyone in danger, his motives are not about “proving he’s God”. Guster knows what’s right and he knows that sometimes doing what’s right is not easy and can lead to losses. He knows he’s imperfect, but he also believes in what he’s doing, has faith in his team, and knows that in the game anything is possible — so he does push the limits at times.
7. He pays close attention to detail. Even when introductions are interrupted by a group of killers, he still remembers Ella’s name. Even though she never mentioned it, he pays close enough attention to her to know she hates Charlotte Silvertree and stripes. He’s the one who notices when she’s injured and needs medical attention.
8. He’s got those endearing little quirks. Guster unconsciously hums under his breath. He has one of those quirky grins that’s infectious. He can’t help subconsciously touching the girl he loves. He makes silly faces and voices at his pet dog. Things like that just make your heart melt a little.
9. He’s the perfect combination of smart and kickass. Not only does he have street smarts and the ability to fight off the bad guys, but he’s also a trained engineer. Nothing like a guy who knows how to use a gun but can also rebuild your computer or fix your cybernetic leg. It’s Gus who teaches Ella everything she needs to know about Nexis and he offers a lot of insight into the Real World – things that Ella would maybe never have learned because she’s not privy to such information.
10. He’s a total romantic with a perfect balance between sweet and sexy. He’s the kind of guy who will grab your bum, kiss your neck, and give you thoughtful gifts. He appreciates what he has with Ella and doesn’t take it for granted. He’s willing to take social risks to be with her. He’s got no problem sneaking into a closet with Ella for a make-out session. He’s keen enough to notice when something like a new dress will move Ella to tears (to answer those burning questions – yes, he DOES know that Ella sold all her clothes in Real World). And he goes through a lot of trouble to get a special gift like a collection of rare Shakespeare poems (you’ll have to keep reading to find out about how those got acquired…)
Author Email: ALDavroe@gmail.com
Author Website: http://www.ALDavroe.com
Author Blog: www. ALDavroe.com
Author Twitter: @ALDavroe
Author Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ALDavroeFanPage
Author Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5212441.A_L_Davroe
A.L. (Amanda) Davroe writes both YA and adult speculative fiction. She prefers revisionist tales in paranormal, romance, Steampunk, and fantasy. She is the author of Salvation Station (adult psych horror), The City Steam Collection (adult psych horror), For Your Heart (YA Paranormal Romance) and her YA Sci-Fi novel, Nexis, is coming out with Entangled Publishing December 1, 2015!
By day, Amanda lives in Connecticut with her two feline hench-creatures and makes cheese. She’s a terrible blusher, has a weak spot for cuddly animals, loves Laffy Taffy and Cadbury MiniEggs, and she’s a huge advocate of alternative healing methods. Amanda also wears purple shoes and corsets…Though not always in the same ensemble. She’s a Capricorn, a Hufflepuff, a bit gothic, and a few nuggets short of a Happy Meal.